Old Collegians Boat Club was set up in 1936 by ex UCD oarsmen, with three specific goals. First of all the club was established to give those who have left college a chance to keep in touch with rowing. Secondly, it was established to directly aid “the College club”, by direct financial contribution and otherwise (e.g. coaching). Finally, the club was set up to promote rowing generally.
Most of the clubs energies have been directed towards supporting the two UCD clubs, as well as promoting rowing generally, such as in the organistaion of Dublin Head of the River race. Up to 1988 the club was not active in rowing, aside from 1963 and 1964, when the club won two IARU Senior 8s championships. However in 1988, with the increased interest in Master’s rowing, the club became active in this area and competed in Masters events for the first time.
Today, the club continues to support both Men’s and Womens UCD clubs as it has in the past, and in addition, provides an opportunity for former oarspeople from UCD as well as from other clubs, to continue their involvement in the sport well into their seventies if they desire. The club has several boats available and caters for both serious Master’s rowers and those who are interested in a leisurely paddle on the Liffey. If you are interested in joining Old Collegians as a non rowing or rowing member, please contact the captain.